Western Allegheny Community Library has a variety of public areas for formal and informal meeting use. Tutoring rooms, study tables, and the café are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Community Room, Garage, and Conference Room may be reserved ahead of time according to the policy below. Please contact the library by phone or in person to check availability before the desired date (preferably two weeks prior). A date may be temporarily reserved, but is only confirmed once an application and deposit (if applicable) is received. Initial contact does not guarantee space in the desired room; a staff member will contact you when your reservation is confirmed. Please download the Room Rental Application or stop by the front desk to pick one up.
Community and Meeting Room Use Policy
DATE ISSUED: November 2013, Updated October 2015
PURPOSE: To set forth the terms governing the use of the library’s Community room and Meeting rooms.
STATEMENT OF POLICY:
The Western Allegheny Community Library provides meeting space for library programs and for other meetings/activities of an informational, educational, cultural, or civic nature. The Library meeting rooms are available to the community consistent with the Library’s mission of providing services to inform, inspire, and enrich the community. Use of the facilities by other groups or individuals is allowed when not needed by Library or Library-related activities, programs, and meetings and when such use does not interfere with or disrupt the programs, activities and normal operations of the Library, or cause a security risk or safety hazard to Library staff, property or customers.
PURPOSE AND USE:
The Library’s meeting rooms are available for use as a community resource in accordance with the Library’s mission to inspire, engage, and educate the community. Use of the rooms to non-profit, civic, social, cultural, educational, governmental organizations, and individuals will be free of charge. Use of the Community Room, Garage, and Conference Room will incur a small administrative fee for private functions/for profit businesses according the fee schedule below and refundable deposit. The deposit will be refunded if the room is left in the original condition.
Community Room or Warehouse Rental
|Cost per Hour – Resident||Cost per Hour – Non-Resident|
|*$50 security deposit required|
Conference Room Rental
|Cost per Hour – Resident||Cost per Hour – Non-Resident|
|*$25 security deposit required|
Non-Profit groups may be asked to show proof of non-profit status.
Conference/Community/Garage rooms cannot serve as a permanent or regular public meeting location for any non-Library related group to allow all members of the community the opportunity to use a Library’s meeting rooms. A group or individual who wishes to reserve the program room on a regular basis shall request written permission from the Library Director and cannot be guaranteed a specific room for all meetings.
Permission to use the Conference/Community rooms is revocable and does not constitute a lease. Permission previously granted to a group or organization to use the program room may be canceled at any time by the Library Director or Library Board, if it is determined that the meeting/activity scheduled does not comply with the policy set forth or if the building is closed for an unforeseen maintenance problem (no heat, water, inclement weather, etc.).
A group or organization must notify the library within 24 hours of the scheduled activity if they need to cancel a room reservation. Failure to do so may result in not being able to use the room for a period of six (6) months. Furthermore, a room reservation will be considered forfeited if the group or individual does not arrive or call within thirty (30) minutes of the scheduled time and the room may be released to another group or individual.
Users of the library facility must comply with all applicable state and federal laws, local ordinances, and the policies of the Library. Any unlawful activity shall be the basis to deny use of the library room in the future.
The library assumes no responsibility for damage to, or theft of, any item displayed or exhibited in a meeting room. All items are placed in a meeting room at the owner’s risk.
Equipment, materials, or furniture belonging to any group shall not be stored in the library.
Library-related activities take precedence in scheduling the use of the room.
Attendance in a meeting room is limited to that number permitted under fire code regulations.
Conditions of Use
- Room Arrangement: A limited amount of chairs and tables are available for groups or individuals to set up to meet their particular needs. The library cannot assume responsibility for setting up the room for non-library-related meetings/activities. When the meeting is completed, the room must be cleaned up with all furniture returned the way it was found. If the room is not restored to the original condition the user may incur a cleaning charge and the forfeit of the room deposit.
- Schedule: Meetings must be held during regular library operating hours unless special arrangements are made beforehand. Meeting rooms must be vacated before library closing. (A 15-minute warning will be given).
- Food and Drink: Food and drink may be consumed in the meeting rooms.
- Clean-up and Damage: The sponsoring group or organization assumes all responsibility for damage to library or municipal property and for leaving the premises in the condition in which it was found, including the arrangement of furnishing and cleaning up of trash. Damage to the facility or equipment will be billed to the group or individual responsible for the room and could result in restriction from further use.
- Library meeting rooms applications shall be reviewed and approved by the Library Director or staff member he/she designates. An authorized member of the group must sign the meeting room request form. By signing the request form, the applicant agrees that:
- They have read the rules and regulations for the library program room and understand them.
- They understand that any failure to abide by these rules and regulations may result in forfeiture of rights to use the room for a period of six (6) months.
- They accept financial responsibility for any and all damages caused to the building or equipment beyond normal wear.
- The library will not provide porter service to carry supplies and custodial help is not available for other than normal room maintenance. Library staff is not available to assist with meetings or to operate equipment.